10 Things About Me

Saturday, May 12, 2007

I'm not going to reveal how long this post has actually taken to write, but let's just say it's not flowing out from my fingertips freely. I feel like some of you already know me very intimately, so trying to come up with something new is like trying to bake a cake out of thin air (mmmm cake). But, here goes nothing.

10 THINGS ABOUT ME:

10. I'm an early riser, always have been, but I am NOT a morning person. So I get up early, I just don't like to be talked to for several hours thereafter. As a kid I'd wake up before it was even light out and every morning I made my parents come into the living room and turn the tv on for me, because I was profoundly afraid of walking in there alone.

9. I am terrified by horror movies. The only one I've ever seen is Scream and it creeps me out just thinking about it. Movies in general make me very tense, so suspense or horror movies make me come a little bit unhinged.

8. I don't like old movies. This particular quality drives The Fiance crazy, but if I didn't see a movie that came out 10 years ago, chances are, I'm not going to watch it now. I don't know where this comes from, but I've never liked old movies. Casablanca made me want to jam rusty spoons in my ears and scoop out little bits of my brain. The one problem with this issue of mine is that my parents did not allow me to see PG-13 rated movies until I was 13 and R rated movies until I was 17, so there are A LOT of movies I've never seen.

7. I've never voluntarily watched any of the Star Wars or Lord of the Rings movies (I had to watch the original 1st Star Wars movie for English class in high school, but I had to rent it and watch it at home because I fell asleep in class). In fact, until recently, I boycotted all triologies because I felt they were money making schemes. But the real truth is that I think I'd kill something if forced to watch either of these sets of films. I just can't get into the science fiction stuff, I think I'm just too cool.

6. I've never been good at a single sport in my life. I've tried a lot of them, and through hard work I've been decent, but no one ever watched me and said, dang, she's GOOD at that. 14 years of ballet and 8 years of diving, and I wanted it so badly. Sometimes I worry that I'll never find my niche, but I also know that I'm good at other things. I hope my kids are more coordinated than I am.

5. I love my eyes. Everyone thinks they're brown upon first glance, but when you look they're actually a light green on the outside and and a little bit brown in the middle. They look just like my mom's and I love them, even if no one else notices (side note, The Fiance noticed them on like our second date and I'll never forget that compliment).

4. I can't stand the silent treatment. If you really want to make me feel bad about something or want to make me generally upset, stop talking to me. You'll see an extra special version of me.

3. When I was 20 I was sexually assaulted. I didn't tell anyone when it happened and when I did tell them, I always downplayed the truth. It was awful and it took a long time for me to find a place of normalcy with other people again. He apologized to me this year in a very random email which I didn't respond to. Somewhere, deep down, it felt good to know that he knows he did something wrong and to know that he does not have my forgiveness.

2. I've always secretly wanted to be famous. Not like a movie star or a singer or anything like that, but for doing something important. I wanted to cure some disease, or strike a peace plan for the world or discover something amazing. I've always been a big dreamer, and I think that's part of why the reality of what I'm doing with my life (in terms of career only) has been disappointing and might possibly explain why I'm back in school, torturing myself 2 LONG classes at a time.

1. My life has not turned out at all as I'd planned it. And for that, I am so grateful.

2 comments:

kim said...

WOW! Am I ever glad I tagged you. Seriously, didn't you find actually putting those 10 things down a little bit liberating? I did; it's a little hard to explain, but I liked it. I'm so glad you were such a good sport about it, and I love learning new things about you.

kim said...

Happy Mother's Day, Katie. I know you're not one yet, but you will be. And you will be good at it, too.

So, have a great day!